When it comes to big bargains in the gardening sector, planting a bare-root tree can truly be amongst the biggest ones. While it may seem a bit odd and strange to actually go ahead and plant a tree with its root, not particularly contained in the soil underneath, this is a great practice which is truly going to boast a lot of success. A lot of the bare-root trees which are sold on the market are actually grown trees which have been taken care of for at least a couple of years. Thus, basically, you are getting a great deal because you are purchasing an already fairly grown tree which is ready to get tucked in the soil.
There are quite a lot of different advantages which are thoroughly associated with buying bare-root trees.
1. Variety – there is a huge selection of different bare-root trees. They are more than the containerized trees simply because the specimens of the former require a lot less space for growing.
2. Price–Bare-root trees can cost up to 50% less than regular trees which are sold in containers. This is due to the fact that the labor which is required for potting the trees and maintaining it properly is reduced significantly.
3. Larger mass of the roots – according to a research carried out at the Cornell University, bare-root trees; in fact, contain 200 percent more roots than those which are sold in containers. The difference is mainly due to the alteration in the harvesting equipment.
When to Plant Them?
Now, regardless of the area that you live in, it is best to plant bare-root trees when they sleep – this is the so called dormancy period. It can be observed before the buds break out and before the leaves start to appear. Of course, the planting window is also going to differ based on the time when you purchase the tree.
· If you live in a warmer area, plant the trees from late fall to early winter
· If you live in a colder area, you want to plant the tree whenever the soil isn’t actually frozen
These are, of course, generalized rules of thumb which should be taken into account. However, there are other specifics that you need to be aware of. Make sure that you are aware of the weather conditions of the region that you live in as well as the climate changes which are most likely to occur. This is important as even if you plant the tree during the right period, if the climate deteriorates suddenly, this could be harmful for the root system and cause issues to the entire tree. General caution is definitely required. Additionally, it is important that you talk with an experienced tree care specialist that can help you get a flourishing garden and verdant foliage. Having a host of different and varied trees can help you landscape better.